The teensBOOKingit website is a safe place for teens 10-17 to interact with each other and learn new things. Teens who use this website will refrain from engaging in inappropriate behaviour and treat your fellow users with respect. We have implemented the following guidelines because the internet provides us with the means to retrieve valuable information, yet it is occasionally used as a means to harm and offend others; these actions can have serious consequences for both the recipient and the offender.
When using the teensBOOKingit website, teens agree:
- Not to use your personal information; do not use your real name, e-mail address, or any other identifiable personal information in your posts or your username. NOTE: The only time you will enter personal information is to enter the online contests or when submitting stories or artwork; in these cases, your personal information will be used to contact prize winners or to verify stories and artwork are original. Personal information will not be posted on the website.
- You are between 10 and 17 years old. Any unauthorized adults attempting to post on the blog, or enter contests, or interact with teens through teensBOOKingit will be banned from the website.
- Not to use the site for any illegal activity.
- To refrain from using racist, homophobic, sexist or other explicit language; and to treat other users with respect.
- To report any inappropriate behaviour. Teens will notify teensBOOKingit monitors of any posts that: are illegal; use explicit language; that are threatening to personal safety; or are from unauthorized adult users.
- That submissions of artwork and stories are your original works and that the teen who submits art or a story is the author or creator of that work. By submitting your work, you confirm that you have not copied, plagiarized or breached the copyright of another person’s work.
Privacy and Safety
The Marigold Library System and its member libraries are very excited to introduce teensBOOKingit and the Teen Summer Library Experience. This website is meant to provide teens with a safe environment to discuss books, teen library events and related events, post movie or book reviews, reviews of other library materials, to share stories written by fellow users and to display artwork; however, it is not meant to be a social networking site such as Facebook or Myspace. The following information is not allowed to be used on the website and will be removed by site monitors:
- Phone numbers
- Street or mailing addresses
- School name
- Email or IM information
- Real name
- Links to personal blogs or websites
- Twitter or Facebook account information
- Or any other means, methods or information that could classed as indefinable personal information
TeensBOOKingit monitors will try to remove any kind of inappropriate or personal information that may put teens at risk of being identified by their peers. However, teens who post links to other websites or teens that access those links are doing so at their own risk. The Marigold Library System, Marigold member libraries, and the website monitors will/are not be responsible for the safety or privacy of anyone who posts or uses external links.
TeensBOOKingit monitors and library staff agree:
- To not use contact information other than for teensBOOKingit communication
- To treat teens, library staff and volunteers and teensBOOKingit monitors with respect
- To report any inappropriate behaviour. To notify site monitors of any posts that: are illegal; use explicit language; that are threatening to personal safety; or are from unauthorized adult users.
- That information/personal information will not be sold, shared or distributed. TeensBOOKingit will only share information for contest winners with managers at Marigold member libraries for the sole purpose of contacting local prize winners.
All information that the teensBOOKingit monitors receive will be treated using the Freedom of Information Protection Act (FOIP). All book reviews, stories, or artwork will be reviewed by teensBOOKingit monitors before posting it onto the website. The teensBOOKingit Blog and blog postings will be closely monitored by teensBOOKingit site operators.
The Marigold Library System will:
- Try to minimize the need for personal information
- Use anonymity whenever possible
- Protect all personal information received
- Destroy all information in accordance with FOIP policies when it is no longer needed
TEEN'ZINE IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Copyright guidelines: Any creative work you submit must be your own original work: no plagiarism, borrowing, copying or stealing. By submitting your work you are confirming that you are the author or artist, and that you have not copied or borrowed anyone else's work. Marigold Library System has print and electronic rights to all submitted work, and the right to use excerpts from the work for promotional purposes. You retain the rights to publish your own work. Please keep in mind that your work will be displayed in a public library forum on Marigold's website and/or in print at your public library) and that your content should be appropriate for viewing by all ages. Not all work submitted will be published; Marigold reserves the right to choose which submissions will be published in each issue. The personal information on the submission form is being collected by the Marigold Library System under the authority of Alberta Libraries Act, and may be used by Marigold Library System staff for the administration of this program. Marigold will protect your personal information from unauthorized disclosure under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Alberta (FOIP).If you have questions about the use of personal information for the Teen Zine, please contact Marigold Library System Consultant Services Librarian, Jessie Bach, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling Jessie at Marigold Library System headquarters in Strathmore: 403-934-5334. For questions about the Teen Zine in general, please email the Teen Zine coordinator at email@example.com or call the teen program coordinator at 403-934-5334.